Golden Sombrero (baseball slang)

Mon Jul 24 20:21:07 UTC 2006

 INSIDE BASEBALL: A One-Note Horn; TIM KURKJIAN
Sports Illustrated   07-29-1991 Page: 56

A One-Note Horn
On July 17, Oriole designated hitter Sam Horn became the first
nonpitcher in major league history to strike out six straight times
in one game. In the 15- inning game against the Royals, Horn whiffed
on six straight at bats before doubling. He matched the one-game
consecutive strikeout record set by Carl Weilman, a pitcher for the
St. Louis Browns, in 1913. ''Three strikeouts is a hat trick, four is
a sombrero, five is a golden sombrero, and six is now called a
Horn,'' said Baltimore pitcher Mike Flanagan. ''Seven would have been
a Horn a Plenty. When you make history, you've got to put your name
on it.''