"St. Clairs" [was: Boston Globe 1889 article on hash-house lingo]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 26 19:51:32 UTC 2006

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but that hasn't stopped me
before.  Spuds:  From County Clare?  And Google tells me there are at
least two Saint Clair counties in the U.S.  But whether these are
named after St. Clair ("died c. 397 of natural causes", says one
site, disappointing one looking for sensation), or both they and the
term for the spud are misspellings, I do not hazard a guess.  Even
Google has a few spellings of "County Clair" referring to Ireland.

Joel