Antedating of "Scholasticism"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 27 20:07:23 UTC 2006

No one has yet turned up any instances of "Scholasticism" earlier than Fred's!  "Scholastic" or "Scholastical," referring specifically to Thomastic theology, does occur earlier--and very often derisively on the part of Protestants and other reformers (somewhat in the manner of Page's distinction).

--Charlie