syntax

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 27 21:29:02 UTC 2006

That's the kind of ambiguity that lends itself to Wilson Gray's "joning."  A while back, a list was circulating on the internet (or maybe office copiers) of suggested statements to use in letters of recommendations: for example, "I cannot praise Mr. Smith's work too highly," or "You will be most fortunate if Miss Brown agrees to work for you."  Simultaneous compliments and insults (though certainly unintentional in the case of the Irish blurb).

--Charlie