Brooklyn National Anthem ("Spring is sprung, de grass is riz...") (1944)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 27 23:33:43 UTC 2006

Congratulations to Ben Zimmer!
Does Fred have this poem, often called the Brooklyn National Anthem?
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/brooklyn_national_ant
hem_spring_is_sprung/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/brooklyn_national_anthem_spring_is_sprung/)
29 March 1944, <i>Coe College Cosmos</i> (Cedar Rapids, Iowa),  pg. 2:
Spring has sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where
My blanket is.
(OK, so it's old ,but it's pertinent.)
25 April 1944, Brainerd (MN) <i>Daily Dispatch</i>, pg.  5:
"Spring is here, the grass is 'riz,' I wonder where the flowers is --  ."
9 April 1947, Charleston (WV) <i>Daily Mail</i>, pg. 6:
Spring is sprung;
The grass is riz,
I wonder where the flowers is?
21 March 1948, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. SM18:
"Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where the flowers is.
The boid is on the wing --
Absoid!
Of course the wing is on the boid."
-- <i>Anon.</i>
26 March 1948, Washington <i>Post</i>, pg. C8:
<i>MAIL BAG</i>
Dear Bill:
Down in North Carolina, your "Spring is sprung, grass is riz" poem has been
a favorite for years. I don't know the name of the author, but I object to
seeing it published over somebody else's initials.
Annabel Barnes
2131 I st. nw.
<i>Cassell's Humorous Quotations</i>
by Nigel Rees
New York: Sterling Publishing, Inc.
2003

Pp. 89-90:
Der spring is sprung
Der grass is riz
I wonder where dem boidies is?

Der little boids is on der wing.
Ain't dat absoid?
Der little wings is on der boid!

<i>Anonymous (New York). "The Budding Bronx," quoted in Arnold  Silcock,</i>
Verse and Worse (1952).
8 May 1957, Los Angeles <i>Times</i>, Cityside with Gene  Sherman, pg. 2:
VERSESIDE -- Jose Bates has been having a little italic trouble with his
garden:

<i>Spring iz sprung</i>
<i>The grass iz riz;</i>
<i>I wonder where</i>
<i>The flowers iz?</i>
18 January 1976, New York <i>Times</i>, "Talking Brooklyn in  Joisey" by
Mario Pei, pg. 328:
It was ultimately sublimated into exalted verse i nwhat is described as  "The
Brooklyn National Anthem," although its lack of nationalistic features  makes
it applicable to Hoboken and Jersey City as well:

"De spring is sprung,
De grass is riz;
I wunneh wear de flowers is.
De boid is on de wing --"