"If you don't go to other people's funerals..." (1911, not from Yogi Berra)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 30 05:22:02 UTC 2006

(GOOGLE)
_You should always  go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they ..._
(http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/1321)      You should always go to other people's
funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours. by Yogi Berra.
www.quotedb.com/quotes/1321 - 13k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ynTue8zrgrcJ:www.quotedb.com/quotes/1321+"other+people's+funerals"&hl=en&
gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.quotedb.com/quotes/1321)
I keep thinking of this quote. How did it become attached to Yogi? Does  Fred
have it?
16 February 1911, Oakland (CA) Tribune, pg. ?:
Visitor--I've just come from the doctor's funeral, but I didn't see any of
you there.
HOSTESS--No--my husband didn't care to go, as funerals always upset  him.
Visitor--Oh, well, if you never go to other people's funerals I don't see
how you can expect them to come to yours.
--Punch.
27 March 1962, Oakland (CA) Tribune, pg. 25:
As Clarence Day's mother said in that classic line in "Life With Father,"
"If you don't attend other people's funerals, you can't expect them to come to
yours!"