Hash(ed) Brown(s) (Potatoes)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 31 12:05:21 UTC 2006

Some raw Google stats:

"hashed brown potatoes"--9,190

"hashed brown"--25,000

"hash browned potatoes"--11,100

"hash browned"--14,700  (Including, for example, "potatoes, hash browned").

Assuming that the latter two constructions represent folk-eytomologizings of the former two, they have gained considerable traction (as it's voguish to say), with the reduced nominal form "hash browns" perhaps being intermediate.

"hash brown"--416,000

"hash brown potatoes"--98,300

--Charlie