Argentine or Argentinian/Aregentinean

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 2 03:04:24 UTC 2006

At 11:14 AM -0700 6/1/06, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:03 AM, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>
>>Last night I was watching an episode of Gilligan's Island (please
>>don't ask why...
>
>the responsibilities of scholarship often take us to strange places.

Indeed; tonight, watching the first network-televised National
Spelling Bee, I was delighted to find that the winning word was
_Ursprache_, and this after various other linguistic terms in the
championship round, including _tmesis_ and _koine_.  I was waiting
for the young girl who had been given "tmesis" to spell to ask the
Associate Pronouncer (yes, that's an actual officer) "Do you mean as
in fanfuckintastic?"  But she forbore.

LH