"Plough with the favorite heifer", 1749

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Jun 6 17:19:09 UTC 2006

"And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer,
ye had not found out my riddle" (Judges 14:18).

Yes, Samson is speaking "metaphorically"--but in what way,
exactly, remains (to me) uncertain.  He rails against the
Philistines for their having obtaining, from his wife, the
solution to his riddle that she had inveigled him to tell
her as a spousal secret.  Perhaps he is using an idiomatic
reference to sexual intercourse as a metaphor for another
kind of marital infidelity?

--Charlie