Missing Sense of "Basketball"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Jun 6 18:06:30 UTC 2006

Also, OED has "tether-ball" (both the ball and the game).

Curiously, it does NOT (apparently) have "dodge-ball,"
except in a quotation illustrating "murderball":  "We used
to call it dodge ball, but they call it murderball . . ."
(Toronto, 1986).

I don't know whether a particular kind of ball
is "officially" used in dodge-ball (or murderball!).  When
my child-peers and I used to play dodge-ball (by that name)
back in the 1950s, we would use a volleyball or soccerball
or whatever was available (even a basketball or football).

Which "-ball" compounds can designate either the sphere or
the game?  Basketball, baseball, football, volleyball,
tether-ball, dodge-ball(?)--others?

--Charlie