Antedating of "yeah" - sort of

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 8 20:02:15 UTC 2006

What troubles me is Omenhausser's use of the predominant modern spelling -which didn't become predominant till decades later. It seems too good to be true.  And you know what that means.

  However, since the alternative to being a superskeptic and killjoy is to believe I've "made a real find," I'll believe the latter.

  In one of the drawings reproduced at American Memory (also in Time-Life, IIRC - it's been nearly 24 hours), Omenhausser amusingly has a prisoner, who seems never to have seen one before, refer to a Chesapeake crab as a "bug" :

  http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/cwnyhs:@field(SUBJ+@od1(Fishing+rods))

  The kind of detail that makes history come alive.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Antedating of "yeah" - sort of

"Yeah" doesn't strike me as being particularly onomatopoetic as a
representation of laughter. But, then, the same can be said of "yuck."
Nevertheless, it still seems to me that "yeah" means "yeah." To say
that X "laughed at" Y doesn't necessarily mean that literal laughter
occurred. A smile or even a sneer could be described as "laughing" in
the situation shown. It also seems to me that the guard is more likely
to be commenting on the situation and not addressing the prisoners. It
really strikes me as a version of "Yeah! Right!" The implication is
that the two prisoners, had they not done whatever it was that they
did, would simply have done something else equally stupid that merited
punishment. Barnum couldn't make money off these two, unless their
stupidity could be depended upon.

I'm going with Ockham's Razor. Let someone show that the obvious
reading is somehow not the correct reading. I think that you've made a
real find, Jon. As The Beatles once put it, "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!"

-Wilson

http://mail.yahoo.com