Another SOTA?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu Jun 8 23:44:31 UTC 2006

>"Who I am today is _whom_ I've always wanted to be."
>
>-Wilson Gray
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Is  the thought or the expression the candidate for SOTAcy?

The "whom" could be defended under the  Subject of an Infinitive is in the
Accusative case,  which sometimes does & sometimes apparently doesn't apply
in English grammar.  We had some discussion of this  years ago....maybe '99
or 2000.

I wanted her to become an astrophysicist.
I've always wanted me to become who I am today.

Can't say much for the felicity of either of these ways of saying this!
AM