dutchmen

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 9 22:58:19 UTC 2006

Same sense in OED2 as for the stone piece, with this citation: "1874
Knight Dict. Mech., Dutchman (Carpentry), a playful name for a block
or wedge of wood driven into a gap to hide the fault in a badly made
joint.".  (The earliest citation, "1859 Bartlett Dict. Amer. 134
Dutchman, a flaw in a stone or marble slab, filled up by an
insertion.", refers to the flaw, not the insertion!)

Joel