Shoobie (1952?, 1975)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 10 22:07:08 UTC 2006

Two more cites for "shoobie," in case the next HDAS needs them.
SHORE CHRONICLES:
DIARIES AND TRAVELERS' TALES
FROM THE JERSEY SHORE
1764-1955
edited by Margaret Thomas Buchholz
Harvey Cedars, NJ: Down The Shore Publishing
1999
Pg. 338:
1952
Ocean City
Edward Brown
(Did he write this in 1952 or did he write this later about 1952? It seems
to be the later. Pg. 339: "My peregrinations to the sea took me to Ocean City
and when I remember that golden time, what a hectic flood of memories, one
better than the next and each anxiously elbowing for attention, come crowding to
 mind." Pg. 342: "Printed with the permission of Edward Brown.")
Pg. 341:
Lowest on most guards' desirability list for posting were beaches such as
Ninth Street, which attracted hordes of "shoobies," day trippers or weekend
visitors who didn't have a clue as to what the ocean might do in a fit of
whimsy. A guard on a shoobie beach could count on runs galore and sitting around
most of the day in wet trunks.
27 June 1975, THE BROADSIDER (Ocean City's Weekly), pg. 34, col. 2:
"We feel that would penalize the wrong people, the people who spend the  most
per day and do nothing about the people who are the real problem, the
shoobies" (a term derived from the time when the one-day visitors could still  find
free shoeboxes to put their lunches in).