French Dictionaries

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Sun Jun 11 14:16:45 UTC 2006

A couple of queries: Can anybody recommend a good (better than
beginner-level) handheld electronic French-English dictionary? I need
something that will substitute for the paper Oxford/Hachette which is
good, but somewhat unwieldy for travel use. Amazon offer the Franklin
BFQ-450, but the user reviews are mixed. And what would be an
authoritative etymological dictionary. I was thinking of the CD-Rom
version of _Le Grand Robert_, but I haven't used it, so I don't know if
it offers etymologies. Or should I go to Larousse? All suggestions
gratefully received.

Jonathon Green