suggestive na mes

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 11 22:47:41 UTC 2006

How about stuff that used to be innocent, like "Honeypot Road" and "Honeypot Road Wetlands Division," as  well as any use of the word "intercourse" before the 1920s ?

  Jesse, you might consider revising OED "intercourse," n., 2.d. The pre-1963 exx., though relevant, are all entirely euphemistic and require an adjective to communicate what's really going on. Current use obviously doesn't. )

  JL

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: RonButters at AOL.COM
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20[ADS-L]=20suggestive=20na?
= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?mes?=

Well, of course, as everybody knows, there is the Cunning Linguist.

And as Arnold knows, there are tons of drag queen names that fit this=20
category--my current favorite is Honey Schute--and there are all those names=
in=20
Restoration Comedy like Lady Wishfort--or are these puns too close to qualif=
y for=20
what the seeker seeks?=20

http://mail.yahoo.com