"Sinkers" and "Dunking Doughnuts"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jun 15 00:49:53 UTC 2006

Barry must have presented his " sinker" information to ads-l earlier.  I have it compiled in an article that will appear in a forthcoming volume on slang that we are co-authoring (the manuscript is completed).  Here's a summary of what we have on "sinker" as part of a compiled glossary on hashhouse lingo. (Btw, the e-mail will distort the layout):

sinker -- doughnut. (1888): 'Heavy weights and sinkers meant    doughnuts'. Also: 'Or they can get a cup of coffee and some cakes for ten cents.  The facetious patrons of the restaurant call these cakes "sinkers," because if they were thrown overboard     they wouldn't float.' (1888)    sinker -- usually a doughnut, but here (pejoratively): butter   cakes. -- '"Off the griddle" means butter cakes, those deadly   bullets or, rather, small cannon balls of dough, which are commonly known to the hardy eaters thereof as "sinkers," but         which it is high treason to call by that name within the lunch  room.' (1902: 16)       sinker -- doughnut (1897; 1922)         sinker -- '... but crullers have lost their family name.  A     doughnut is a "sinker," a contorted cruller is a "pretzel,"...'         (1929: 6, col. 2)

Gerald Cohen

        <snip>