Sugar (money); Spondulix

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 17 20:59:37 UTC 2006

I was looking at "sugar" (money) for "sugar daddy." The articles  cited below
seem interesting for other terms as well. "Spondulix" comes from  Africa?
What does the HDAS have for "sugar" & "spondulix"?
(Oxford English Dictionary)
sugar, n.

slang. Money.
1862  Cornh. Mag. Nov. 648 We have  just touched for a rattling stake of
sugar at Brum. 1884  Punch 11 Oct. 180/1 Political  Picnics mean sugar to them as
is fly to wot's wot. 1890  _‘R.  BOLDREWOOD’_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b3.html#r-boldrewood)   Col. Reformer (1891) 308 He's  always got
the sugar, consequence he always gets the worth of his  money.

_"A  FELLOW OF INFANT JEST."_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=417196161&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=115057
7531&clientId=65882)
GREENLEAF WITTIER.  Puck (1877-1918). New York: Jul 3, 1878. Vol. 3, Iss.
69; p. 6 (1 page)
Need I explain that "sugar" is the slang--I should say the  colloqualism--for
money?
_"United  States" Language.; THE MOTHER TONGUE ONE THING AND AMERICAN MANNER
OF SPEECH  ANOTHER. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=15&did=250677892&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1150576199&cli
entId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Nov 17, 1907. p. MS2 (1
page)
(From the New York Press -- ed.)
..."simoleons," dollars, the "long green," paper money also, "dornicks,"
"scads," "rocks," "dough," "sugar," all referring in one connection of another
to the national currency.
The following miscellaneous lot is of the South, chiefly the Southwest and
West:
(...)
"Brutus" in Charleston is the same as "lagniappe" in New Orleans, i. e., a
premium or something thrown in at a purchase.
Bungay in 'Go to Bungay!" means the lower regions.
"Bacon rind" aptly describes the color of certain greasy negroes.
"That beats Buck!" is the equivalent of the Irish, "That beats  Banagher!"
A "chiv" in California is a Southerner in Democratic politics, and a "pike"
a poor Missourian.
"To wake snakes" in the South is to make a speech in a rousing voice.
(...)
The "Maryland end" of a ham is the hock; the "Virginia end," the  other.
(...)
The word "Josh," it is said, originated on the New York Stock  Exchange.
_Slang  Phrases for Money.; DICTIONARY COULD BE MADE UP SOLELY OF AMERICAN
TERMS FOR  CURRENCY _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=17&did=249432972&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1150576862&clien
tId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Apr 19, 1908. p. M5 (1
page)
(From the Boston Herald -- ed.)
"Boodle" comes directly from political circles in New York, with its sister
phrase, "the whole caboodle."
(...)
"Honey," "sugar" and "sweeteners" denote an epicurean delight in what is
sometimes familiarly called "jacks."
(...)
"Posh" is an enigma.
(...)
"Spondulix" is interesting. The word was first applied to shell money used
on the west coast of Africa, and it got its name from the town whence it came,
Spondula.
_Bits  of New York Life_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=21&did=523084702&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1150577214
&clientId=65882)
O O M'INTYRE. The Atlanta Constitution (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Sep 27,
1919. p. 8 (1 page)
When he calls money "sugar" he is speaking in his own language--the  language
of the automat and the all-night drug store.
_PRIZE  RING HAS JARGON_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=24&did=224666952&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1150577342
&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Jul 24, 1927. p. A4 (1
page)
..."sugar," money and "rabbit punch," hitting in back of the  neck.