Crunchy Conservatives

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 18 04:14:57 UTC 2006

CRUNCHY CONSERVATIVES--924 Google hits
GRANOLA CONSERVATIVES--477 Google hits
CRUNCHY CONS--77,300 Google hits
"Crunchy Conservatives" came up in conversation, and I guess that Rod  Dreher
coined it with his 2002 article and 2006 book.
I think Conservatives should be soft baked and not crunchy, but that's just
me.
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Rise of the 'Crunchy Cons'_
(http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/guests/s_455602.html)
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, PA -  <NOBR>May 27,
... "The fundamental difference  between crunchy conservatives and mainstream
conservatives has to  do with the place of the free market in society. ...
_Guardian Unlimited Web_
(http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/comment/0,,1789598,00.html)
Guardian Unlimited, UK -  <NOBR>Jun 2,
... Crunchy  conservatives are as anti-consumerist and as sceptical about big
business  as the left; they detest suburban sprawl, shopping malls, fast-food
eateries  ...

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_Any sane non-Libertarians out there?_
(http://groups.google.com/group/soc.religion.quaker/browse_thread/thread/a81a32579fc3b2bf/ac38be6e4cf93638?lnk=st&q="
crunchy+conservatives"&rnum=8&hl=en#ac38be6e4cf93638)
... Reminded me of an article I read in National Review this issue -  about
"Crunchy
Conservatives" -- people who are mistrustful of  big business and big
government ...
_soc.religion.quaker_
(http://groups.google.com/group/soc.religion.quaker?lnk=sg&hl=en)  -  Sep 29 2002, 5:26 pm by Bromo AT IX DOT NETCOM DOT COM - 175
messages - 22  authors
(GOOGLE)
_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400050642/103-2084708-3747035?v=glance&n=28
3155_
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400050642/103-2084708-3747035?v=glance&n=283155)
Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving  organic gardeners,
evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas,  right-wing nature
lovers, ... America (or at least the Republican Party)  (Hardcover)
by _Rod Dreher_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Rod%20Dreher&rank=-relevance,+availability,-daterank/103
-2084708-3747035)
    _http://www.nationalreview.com/dreher/dreher071202.asp_
(http://www.nationalreview.com/dreher/dreher071202.asp)
July 12, 2002 8:45 a.m.
Birkenstocked  Burkeans
Confessions of a granola  conservative.
alking with  a conservative friend the other day, I mentioned that my wife
and I were having  a friend over to dinner, and were going to serve him all
kinds of delicious  vegetables from the organic food co-op to which we belong.
(...)
Then again, Julie and I are probably the crunchiest — as in granola —
conservatives we know (hey, my bride even makes her own granola). In some
respects, the life we live and the values we share have more in common with  left-wing
counterculturalists than with many garden-variety conservatives. What  we
share is a disdain for, or at least a healthy suspicion of, mass culture. It
makes for interesting bedfellows.