Choral vs. coral

Tue Jun 20 18:14:38 UTC 2006

It isn't in modern Michigan, N Illinois or New Jersey either, but
according to the older dialect surveys, it WAS a general Northern
feature and one of the main North/Midland differences.  Like "dutch
cheese" for "cottage cheese", it seems to have gone the way of the
"whippletree" and disappeared in most dialects.  Maybe Keillor's
being conservative.  There's no documentation that I know of saying
when NORTH and FORCE merge in the North, but it's got to be a
difference in most areas between people born in the 1860's and the
turn of the twentieth century.

Paul Johnston