Contraction in comparatives

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 21 03:10:55 UTC 2006

As Tony Joe White put it, iss summuh yawl ain' bin  down South too
much. That particular pronunciation of ""barrel" is so widespread
that, as a child, I couldn't distinguish "barrow" [bae@] from
"barrel," since both /r/ and /l/ could be dropped before consonants
and word-finally. Indeed, there's an old R&B tune in which
"table" [teb@] is hypercorrected to "taber" [teb at r]. For many years, I
thought that a wheel_barrow_ was a wheel_barrel_, invented by someone
who had cut a barrel in half longitudinally and then attached a wheel
and a couple of hoe handles to it.
"Brilliant!" as they say in that Heiniken commercial.

-Wilson