"sugar daddy"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 21 20:01:33 UTC 2006

Further affirming Gerald Cohen's reiterated argument
that "sugar daddy" can mean, simply, "(male) sweetheart"--as
well as the OED's "elderly man who lavishes gifts on a young
woman":

Early blues songs also sing about the synonymous "sugar
papa" (specifically, "apple sugar papa"; Gertrude ["Ma"]
Rainey, "Bessemer Bound Blues," 1926), "sugar man" (Bessie
Mae Smith, "Sugar Man Blues" [parts 1 and 2], 1930); and the
parallel "Sugar Mama" (Peetie Wheatstraw, "Sugar Mama,"
1938; Tommy McClennan, "New Sugar Mama," 1940).

I found those examples in a old-fashioned way:  Using the
efficient hard-copy Blues Lyric Poetry: A Concordance, by
Michael Taft, 3 vols. (NY: Garland, 1984), keyed to Taft's
compilation Blues Lyric Poetry: An Anthology (NY, Garland,
1983).

--Charlie