"disguised as a"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jun 22 12:30:29 UTC 2006

Wow!  Such bassackward utterances, of course, are not new.
I commented on "at the expense of" back in 1982 (AS 57:203),
and other examples have come up in discussions on this
list.  But Joel's example is especially flagrant:  The
failure to distinguish between the passive participle and
its active counterpart, "disguised" vs. "disguising."

I wonder if Homeland Security's airport inspectors get
confused in that same way?

--Charlie