Pisshouse

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jun 22 16:39:45 UTC 2006

At 6/22/2006 11:45 AM, Jonathon wrote [sent to me privately, but
copied to ADS-L for wider interest]:
>Dear Joel,
>
>I tried to send this to the list this a.m., but for reasons
>apparently to do with my not using my usual email address - I am in
>Paris and using my IP server's mail system - it was tossed back.
>Please don't take it amiss - as I say, it is a fantastic predate -
>but were you aware of Rawson? I have it in my own database on that
>basis, but never thought to check the OED.

Well, I published first--at least to the OED!  :-)

>--------
>
>Far be it from me to (I'm sorry, I cannot resist) piss on anyone's
>parade - and before we go any further, it is a _great_ predate,
>Joel: any more at home like that? - but Hugh Rawson references the
>selfsame line in his _Dict.
> >> of Invective_ 1989); whether he offers chapter and verse I
> cannot, temporarily exiled from my copy, say. But it's there,
> 'rambeggur' and all.

I will be going post-haste (as they said in the same period) to a
library to check--and if Rawson does not cite his source, then the
(OED) credit surely belongs to me!

>On which note, is it possible that 'beggur' is simply 'beggar', and
>that 'ram', as in 'ramcat' - a tomcat - simply means virile or
>strong and here serves to intensify the 'beggarness', i.e.
>distastefulness of the person thus attacked. Alternatively 'ram'
>certainly meant 'fuck' at the time, so maybe the vilified one is
>simply being accused of coupling with the indigent.

I don't think "virile or strong" makes sense as a modifier of
"beggar", when it is the speaker's mother he is vilifying.  And
wouldn't the word be "beggar-ramming" if a reference to someone
indigent was intended?  "Bugger", one who buggers, seems more likely
to me, but as Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The only basis for that interpretation is that it makes some sense
>of "rambeggur."
>
>   But as we know, that means next to nothing.  I have not seen the
> word elsewhere.

Joel