Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Jun 24 15:51:06 UTC 2006

It's an interesting "problem" in the
game/art/ritual/formulaic activity of riddling (which modern
Americans do comparatively little of):  Who gets to decide
what the "right" solution is--on the basis of what implicit
rules?

If the riddle-poser asks "What has many eyes but can't see?"
and wishes the solution to be "A potato" but someone instead
answers "A shoe" or "A paper of needles" or "Mississippi,"
can the alternative answers, however seemingly suitable, be
ruled erroneous?

Often, of course, the solution is attached to the
descriptive part of a riddle by tradition; that is, the
RIDDLE comprises not only the description but also the
identification of what is being described, which is to be
guessed. The folkgroup itself, except for neophytes,
possesses the right answer.  "A riddle, a riddle, a hole in
the middle" describes a doughnut, not a bagel or an
innertube.

Likewise, the right answer can be "firetruck," not "fleck"
or "fenduck."  It simply IS!

Which is not to say there can't be a range of traditional,
authorized answers--or room for ingenuity in parodying a
riddle by offering new answers ("What's black and
white . . . ?), some of which, then, may themselves become
traditional . . . .

--Charlie