Soul Food (1962)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 24 20:23:07 UTC 2006

Andy Smith had asked me a few years ago if I had a "soul food" cite
pre-1963. The term was used in Harlem, but it may come from Chicago. I  re-checked.
Chicago's newly digitized Chicago Defender has "soul food" from  1962.
The revised OED has--?
(Oxford English Dictionary)
soul food, (a) fig. spiritual  nourishment; (b) orig. U.S. Blacks, the kind
of food typically  eaten by Black people, spec. those foodstuffs originating in
the southern  states of America;
1920 W. R.  LETHABY in London Mercury Mar. 575 The  history that can be seen
and touched is a strong and stimulating soul-food,  entirely different from
vague and wearying written history. 1964  N.Y. Times Mag. 23 Aug. 62/3  Soul
food, chitterlings, collard greens, ham hocks, grits,  black-eyed peas and rice,
and the like.
(PROQUEST)
_ZIG  and ZAG with ZIGGY JOHNSON_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=742559172&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11
51179304&clientId=65882)
The Chicago Defender  (National edition) (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: Mar 3,
1962. p. 10 (1  page)
Mom's kitchen has "soul" food.
_ZIG  and ZAG with ZIGGY JOHNSON_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=740582452&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11
51179516&clientId=65882)
The Chicago Defender  (National edition) (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 7,
1962. p. 10 (1  page)
Buddy and Dottie Rose had their mother to cook Sarah Vaughn and hubby C. B.
Atkins some soul food.
_Display  Ad 28 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=740584862&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1151179
516&clientId=65882)
The Chicago Defender (National  edition) (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: May 5,
1962. p. 10 (1 page)
NOW OPEN 24 HOURS
_McKie's & Caesar's_
STEAK HOUSE
.STEAKS, SOUL FOOD
.FRIED CHICKEN
.BREAKFAST . LUNCH . DINNER
6319 COTTAGE
_ZIG  and ZAG with ZIGGY JOHNSON_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=724144442&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11
51179634&clientId=65882)
The Chicago Defender  (National edition) (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 2,
1962. p. 10 (1  page)
When trumpeter Miles Davis hits town, he heads straight for Mom's Kitchen
and the soul food. Schoolmarm Shirley McNeil on TV, channel 56.
_Integrated  TV Station Learns Pros, Cons Of Negro Appeal_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=6&did=723989612&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQ
D&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1151179823&clientId=65882)
A S DOC  YOUNG Special to the Defender. The Chicago Defender  (National
edition) (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 22, 1963. p. 9 (1  page)
The biggest blast of disapproval was leveled against the station after a
Negro bandleader H. B. Barnum, had a caterer bring in such so-called "soul"
foods as turnip greens, chitterlings, and cornbread, to be eaten on camera while
musicians explained what "soul music" was all about.