Q: Pupil of the eye as the most expansive male organ

Sun Jun 25 17:53:39 UTC 2006

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> reasonably challenges:

>   I heard Number 2 in, I believe, the spring of 1965.  It was
> rumored in my high school that the well-known frenetic host of a
> local TV "kid's show" (much watched by teens of the day for its
> absurd humor) had been fined or taken off the air for asking,
> "Kids, what's the shortest word there is that starts with F and
> ends with CK ?"  The answer, of course, was "firetruck." (Check
> your 1965 dictionary !)

This puzzled me the first time I saw it here, but I let it pass.  No
mas!  Aren't flack/fleck/flick/flock as well as frock shorter than
firetruck?
<<<

But JL observes:

  I'll bet the stipulation was "ends in -UCK."
  That would make "firetruck" the only possible answer - assuming the
"other" F-word is "not a word."
 <<<

In sooth, as I heard it -- in the same time period, in the same rumor -- it
was indeed "What begins with F and ends with U-C-K?". JL would win his bet

Joel complains

> And firetruck is not in OED2!

All right, but we weren't exactly looking in OED2 for our vocabulary in high
school in the sixties.

And Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> contributes

 an anonymous bit of deniable-ribaldry from the 18th century:

  I'm a hole, though too narrow
  When first I am tried.
  Yet the thing I was made for
  Can stretch me out wide.