"Shoot the lights out" (1968, golf?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 25 23:27:58 UTC 2006

SHOOT THE LIGHTS OUT--26,600 Google hits
I like Rutgers' Quincy Douby for the NBA draft. It's said that he can  "shoot
the lights out." We did "lights out" before, but not "shoot the lights  out."
I thought this might come from basketball, but the early citations appear  to
come from golf.
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Offseason Primer: Cleveland Cavaliers_
(http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17729.shtml)
Hoops World (subscription) -  <NOBR>Jun  1
... The New York City product is  an athlete with amazing range that can
shoot the lights  out. Douby led the Big East in scoring as a junior with 24 PPG.
31 March 1968, Panama City (FL) News-herald, pg. 24?
"I don't understand the scores they are shooting," said Miller Barber after
carding a 67 for a 205 total. "My game is as good as it can be and I'm not
leading the tournament. This course is not that easy, yet everybody is shooting
the lights out."
15 May 1969, Odessa (TX) American and other newspapers:
"I'm playing pretty well now. It's a funny thing, though. Sometimes you
think you're not playing well, and you shoot the lights out. You just never can
tell."
(Jack Nicklaus. AP story--ed.)