Penny Lick (1921)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 27 06:45:20 UTC 2006

PENNY LICKS--583 Google hits
"Penny lick" is not in the revised OED. For some reason, I can't take this
into the 19th century, but I haven't checked Making of America yet.
"Penny lick" is on the History Channel website for the upcoming "American
Eats," a tv program Gerald Cohen helped but I stayed clear of. (The History
Channel doesn't exactly treat scholars well.)
_http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm_
(http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm)
These pastry cups had to be tiny, to fit 10 of them in a waffle-size iron,
and they wouldn't be like today's cup cone, but an edible "cuplet," to replace
the "penny licks" - small, glass containers used by street ice cream vendors.
 But Marrchiony's grandson. Bill, claims that Italo used these cuplets, made
on  his patented mold, to increase the efficiency of his street-vending
business,  and thereby made the first ice cream cones.
_History of  Ice Cream_ (http://www.zingersicecream.com/history.htm)      At
the time, most ice cream from vendors was  sold in serving glasses called
"penny licks" (because you'd  lick the ice cream from the glass, ...
www.zingersicecream.com/history.htm - 32k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:IXPRu1nE5HcJ:www.zingersicecream.com/history.htm+"penny+licks"&hl
=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.zingersicecream.com/history.htm)
_Dairy  Foods_ (http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm)      Penny Licks
remained popular for a long  time [as noted in Ed Marks' book. Ice Cream
Collectibles], even though  they were the cause of many health problems. ...
drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm - 16k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:lxrBMQas1lEJ:drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm+"penny+licks"&hl=en&gl=us&
ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:drinc.ucdavis.edu/dfoods12.htm)
_Custard Cups, Jelly Glasses and Penny Licks_
(http://www.bonnonsantiqueglass.co.uk/jellyglasses&.htm)      Fireworks Splice HTML. ... Stock No.
Description. Selling Price. Photo. 04/314, Georgian Custard Cup with  ribbed bowl,
applied loop handle and domed foot. ...
www.bonnonsantiqueglass.co.uk/jellyglasses&.htm - 16k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:mW8AWZgMWPoJ:www.bonnonsantiqueglass.co.uk/jellyglas
ses&.htm+"penny+licks"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.bonnonsantiquegl
ass.co.uk/jellyglasses&.htm)
10 June 1921, Chicago <i>Daily Tribune</i>, pg. 18:
Do You Remember Way Back When:
You could get a penny lick of ice cream from the hokey-pokey man?--W. E.  G.