Origin of "hobo" (1888); "Hot dog" and "pants" (1870, 1886)

Wed Jun 28 14:59:56 UTC 2006

The Chief's use of the phrase "Independent Order of tramps" set me to
checking that in Proquest's Hist Newspapers (leaving out the Monitor
and the WSJ).  Nothing turns up under the exact phrase, but there is
an "Ancient Order of tramps" in the Chicago Daily Tribune of July 18,
1896, p. 9 and a "Order of tramps" in the Atlanta  of January 7, 1897,
p. 3.  The latter refers to a lecture to be given by "C. C. Crail, a
Converted Weary Willie", referring to the tramps' passwords, signals
and meeting places -- no details.

The first appearances of "Weary Willie" seem to have meant an effete
man, such as is often encountered in better social realms.  It was in
the Atlanta Constitution of November 22, 1894, p. 4, in an article on
long-haired football players, complaining that there was these days 3
varieties of football: the American Beauty, the Weary Willie & the
Pond Lily -- none of which sound as if they would please the present
crop of U. of Georgia fans.
It seemed that the first occurence of Weary Willie in the sense of
tramp was in the Atlanta Constitution of March 8, 1896, p. 5.

C. C. Crail appears about a half dozen times between 1896 and 1903,
mostly in the Constitution.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.