An early "cock"?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jun 29 13:12:57 UTC 2006

Joel, didn't you suggest several days ago that the poem's
use of "cock" fails to qualify for entry in OED because it's
just a metaphor?  And a metaphor has to expire into a so-
called "dead metaphor" before its figurative sense becomes a
lexified, denotative "meaning" of the word or phrase.

Furthermore, the early poem contains many descriptive
details that do NOT fit any consistent interpretation of
the "cock" as a penis (unless I'm being naive or obtuse!).
The poem is very unlike those pretended-obscene riddles we
were discussing last week, in which EVERY detail must fit
both interpretations.

--Charlie