An early "cock"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 30 13:49:36 UTC 2006

At 6/29/2006 07:49 PM, JL wrote [excerpted]:
>   Third. None of the various details in the lyric are obviously
> inconsistent with the presumed double-entendre.

Jonathan, can we have a learned dissertation on none of the details
being "obviously inconsistent" with the unmentionable sense?  Most of
them do not need explication, but I have wondered about:

>his legs  be of azure
>so gentil and so small

[This can't be "blue balls".  What are the legs, and why azure?]

>his spurs are of silver white
>into  the wortewale

[I suppose I can imagine "wortwale"--after looking it up!--but spurs
of silver white?]

>his eyes are of crystal
>locked all in amber

[More than one eye?]

And what does "comen" signify in the first and second verses?
>   To take a vaguely comparable modern example.  The heroine of the
> Ian Fleming classic _Goldfinger_ is named "Pussy Galore."  Yep,
> that's her name, and it was her name in the '64 movie too. In an
> era when the sexual sense of Ms. Galore's Christian name was
> ordinarily unutterable in a Hollywood film, was its presence a
> Bawdy Joke or a Meaningless Accident ?

Just as much of an accident as its use in "Are You Being Served".

Joel