eggcorn

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Fri Mar 3 13:39:19 UTC 2006

Wilson Gray wrote:

>How do you distinguish a mere misspelling from a genuine eggcorn? The
eggcorn site has
>examples that appear to consist of mere misspellings of "cacciatore"
that seem to be
>neutral with respect to semantics. However, I once came across a joke a
part of whose
>punch line was "... chicken catch a Tory."

This joke appeared in the Rocky and Bullwinkle show back in the early
1960's.  One of the "Wayback Machine" episodes ended with a "patriotic
chicken --- chicken catch a Tory".

OT: this reminds me of a classic example of understatement.  In St.
John, New Brunswick (the "Tory city" since a large number of Tories
moved there during and after the Revolution) there is a historical
marker stating that a particular house was the residence of "Benedict
Arnold, noted Revolutionary War soldier".  That marker is correct.
Arnold was one of the most noted soldiers on both sides!

Even further OT:  someone asked about Little Rock, Arkansas, being "the
Rose City".  Does this have anything to do with Little Rock's Rose Law
Firm, famous for once having as partners Vincent Foster, Webster
Hubbell, and Hillary Rodham Clinton?

        - Jim Landau