A new use of "duh?"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 3 16:45:32 UTC 2006

Wilson Gray wrote:
>>>From SlashDot:
>
> "Well, no _duh_ your product isn't selling like hotcakes."

I assume you're referring to the "no"; "duh"'s been around since, at
least, my childhood (1950s). I first encountered the form "no duh" from
students of mine at the University of Florida in the 80s. There was
pretty much an even split. For some it was the norm, and for some it was
bizarre and unusual.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963