A new use of "duh?"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 6 00:10:05 UTC 2006

No shit? "Well, no shit your product isn't selling" is grammatical for you
in an environment devoid of context? Different strokes, I guess. In its
original site, which I'm not interested in going to the effort to track
down, again, the environment was something like:

"Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah? Well, no duh your product isn't selling like
hotcakes."

Try this one, also found in the wild, with a little more context, from
XGenStudios Forums:

"Well, no duh you're gonna party like it's your birthday when it is your
birthday."

I have a hard time getting "no shit" to fit here, too.

Of course, if we all had the same internal grammar, today's English might be
be a lot more like Chaucer's.

And I don't have a problem with "Well _no wonder_ your product isn't selling
[you idiot -- your product sucks]."

The passage of time probably explains everything. No shit (Sherlock) / no
shit (Shinola) dates to the late '40's - early '50's in speech. That it
should have precisely the same meaning a half-century later is not to be
expected.

-Wilson

-Wilson
*