Ta-Da!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 6 02:51:49 UTC 2006

TA-DA!
A coworker of mine speculates that "Ta-da!", an expression used  by
magicians about to reveal the end-results of a trick (as opposed  to
"hocus-pocus", used to initiate the audience's perception of a  trick),
is from the Hebrew "toda" (thank you) or "toda raba" (great  thanks).  He
points out that many vaudeville performers were Jewish and  therefore
familiar with at least a few words of Hebrew.

Any  comments?

- James A.  Landau
I've been hearing "ta-da" tonight on the Oscar telecast. It's my personal
theory that it's related to "Te Deum." I have some papers on the origin of "Te
Deum" in this apartment, but I probably threw it out with all my other
worthless  life's work.
_Te Deum -  Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum)
Te Deum laudamus: We praise you, God: te  Dominum confitemur. we acknowledge
you as Lord. Te aeternum patrem,  As the eternal father, omnis terra
veneratur. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum - 18k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:zcJvnV8kdb8J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum+te+deum&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk
&cd=4&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum)
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>------------------------------------------------------------------------
<NOBR>"WINDY CITY" AND THE CHICAGO HISTORICAL  S
<NO
<NOBR>For the past year, I've been trying to contact  the Chicago Historical
Society about the Encyclopedia of Chicago (that  plagiarized "Windy C
<NO
<NOBR>No one res
<NO
<NOBR>This is from February 23rd, and I was promised a  response. The CHS is
now called the Chicago History Museum, but still, no  one hel
<NO
<NO
<NOBR>(E
<NOBR>Your emails have been forwarded on to the  encyclopedia staff and the
secretary who handles the board's  correspond

Sincerely,

Research Center
Chicago  History Museum
1601 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL  60614-6038

After 150 years of celebrating and illuminating  Chicago's history, the
Chicago Historical Society is proud to announce our  new name: Chicago History
Museum. For more information, visit  www.chicagohistory.org
<http://www.chicagohistory.org/>

OPENING FALL 2006