A new use of "duh?"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 6 13:43:43 UTC 2006

Actually, I haven't heard it in years, but, as I recall, it had the same
meaning as now, something like, "What you say is so obvious that it was a
waste of breath for you to state it."

"Hey, the Academy Awards were on last night!"

"No shit (Sherlock)."

FWIW, it seems to me that when you say, "No shit?!" and mean it, you can't
add "Sherlock" to it. When you're being sarcastic, either way works.

Finally, as  soon as I had clicked on "Send," I realized that I had crossed
"no shit" with "you don't know shit from Shinola" to get the non-occurring
"No shit, Shinola."

If you're too young to remember, "Shinola" was the name of a once-popular
brand of shoe polish. See below:

 The Difference Between Shit and Shinola: Clearly Defined, Once and For All
SHINOLA SHIT  Shoe polish. Bodily waste.  No longer manufactured. Manufactured
by every animal on earth at least once a day.  Comes in a can. Doesn't come
in a can but you can put it there.  Pleasant, fruity odor Unpleasant,
poop-like odor  People don't care if you have Shinola on your shoes. Most
people admire shiny shoes. People are offended and make funny faces when you
have shit on your shoes.  Contributed to the end of the Cold War Helped
spread the Black Plague  Repels aliens. Repels aliens.  If you hold a piece
of Shinola in your hand and turn around four times chanting, "I do believe
in fairies! I do believe in fairies!" you will be transported to a magical
paradise where all the boys look like Weezer and cream cheese has no
calories. If you hold a piece of shit in your hand and turn around four
times chanting, "I do believe in fairies! I do believe in fairies!" your
hand will get dirty.  Emily Dickinson wrote poems glorifying Shinola. Jonathan
Swift wrote poems glorifying shit.

-Wilson