A new use of "duh?"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 7 12:25:24 UTC 2006

My grandparents both used to say, "in olden days," and I still say it. It has a somewhat archaic sound.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: A new use of "duh?"

True, with regard to the algorthm, but you didn't have Google at your
fingertips, back in the olden days.

Before "back in the day" became hip, "(back) in the olden [sic] days" was
standard in BE. I was reminded of that by its use by Granddad in today's
_Boondocks_. I haven't the foggiest idea as to why it's "olden" and not
simply "old." But, as they say in Vietnam-War memoirs, "there it is."

-Wilson

On 3/6/06, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: A new use of "duh?"

------

> At 10:03 PM -0500 3/6/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >You can't catch me every time, Lar. I mea-culpa'd and made the necessary
> >correction several hours ago. Nah nah nah nah naah nah! ;-)
> >
> >-Wilson
>
> Ah, indeed. The culpa is mea; sorry about the e-mailatio praecox.
> On the other hand, I will still stake the claim, until disproved, to
> have written the first linguistics dissertation (1972) to include a
> treatment of "X doesn't know shit from Shinola" (Chapter 3, fn. 13),
> even if I don't provide nearly as systematic an algorithm as you did
> for distinguishing the two products in question.
>
> LH
>

> >On 3/6/06, Laurence Horn wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender: American Dialect Society
> >> Poster: Laurence Horn
> >> Subject: Re: A new use of "duh?"
> >>

> >>-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--------

> / no
> it
> be
> >>
> >> Interesting. I'm familiar with the former of these (which would of
> >> course be transparent in any case, even if I can't quite picture Dr.
> >> Watson muttering the line) but not the latter, but on the other hand
> >> that's the very same old Shinola (brown shoe polish) that shoes...er,
> >> shows up elsewhere in the classic "X can't tell shit from Shinola",
> >> one of my favorite entries in the ass v. hole-in-the-ground
> >> indiscriminabilia sweepstakes.
> >>
> >> Larry

Yahoo! Mail