A Conversation in Flash

Tue Mar 7 16:51:30 UTC 2006

A correction:

By a mistyping or mistranscription, I gave "a small of max", but
correctly it is "a smaller of max".

As for the authenticity of this passage: Some time ago I posted
another conversation in flash from a newspaper of the late 1820s.
That text had at least one undoubted error, because the author -- the
editor of the paper -- was a highly respectable gentleman whose circle
of acquaintance didn't include any thieves, whores or pickpockets.
This present passage is by an editor whose acquaintance, I suspect,
included no-one but thieves, whores and pickpockets.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.