"substitute with" again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 7 22:22:04 UTC 2006

Maybe it'll just die out all by itself, as "irregardless" and "forMIDable"
appear to have done, knock wood.

Does anyone know off the top of his/her/their head how you say,
"replace X with Y" / "substitute X for Y" in, e.g. German? I have a vague
inkling in the back of my thinking cap that there's some common foreign
language that has some inside-out way of saying that that may have
influenced the English of the pswaydo-learned.

-Wilson