"substitute with" again

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 8 01:43:13 UTC 2006

>  >>The image is based on a story in which Nichiren encounters a
>>>beautiful woman who reveals her true form as that of a seven-headed
>>>serpent, but in this painting Hokusai has substituted the serpent
>>>with the more familiar dragon.
>
>To me, such statements are at least initially ambiguous, but
>the recent discussion here suggests that I should read them
>like this: "has replaced the serpent with the more familiar
>dragon" - am I catching on? Does "substituted" equal "replaced"?

Yes it does, in this context.  No serpent in painting, yes dragon.
And despite Arnold's assurance that this variety of "substitution" is
relatively old hat (no double entendre intended, as I guess we'll now
have to keep saying), it's not something I'm aware of having
encountered in formal writing until relatively recently.

larry