"African-American" vs. "black" at the Olympics

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 8 02:41:24 UTC 2006

Last fall some of my students referred to the blacks in Conrad's "Heart of
Darkenss" as African-Americans--I think they assumed that Af-Am is the
polite form of "black" and the nationality issue never occured to
them--these same students constantly referred to "British imperialism"
despite the fact that the novella is set in the Congo--ruled by Belgium at
the time.  I think something similar is going on with the sports-writer.