"African-American" vs. "black" at the Olympics

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 8 03:26:31 UTC 2006

At 8:51 PM -0600 3/7/06, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>The same thing happened when Nelson Mandela was being released from
>prison, and someone on TV or in the press (I forget which) referred
>to him as an "African-American."
>
>Gerlad Cohen

These case are different, though, in that it's *true* of Shani Davis
both that he is an African-American and that he was the first
African-American to win an individual gold medal in the Winter
Olympics.  An understatement, to be sure, as noted, but nonetheless
true.  Such is obviously not the case in either of the above
situations.

Larry