wilsongray.com

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Mar 8 18:42:40 UTC 2006

Wilson,

Try having Page as a first name.

My name is constantly misspelled as Paige and until I got to the point
where I signed myself H. Page I got so much mail addressed to MS, MISS or
MRS Paige Stephens that I finally added the initial before my name which
women rarely use.

Another problem which I once had was the fact that the historian Page Smith
wrote an article critical of my undergraduate advisor's book, and one day
when I entered my advisor's office he called me Mr. Smith.

I once heard that the late Shirley Povich, a reknowned sportswriter and
Maury's father, once was given an award by someone or other as woman of the
year.

I do not know about Wilson but Page as a name has been both a curse and a
blessing. It was a curse when I was growing up and kids would constantly
say, "Turn the page or leaf, Page." but in later years it has made me
distinctive since I am not a John, Dick or Harry.

By the way one of the things which I have noticed among my friends of my
generation -- I am 62 -- is that many of my friends from my childhood whom
we used to call Bob and Dick now tell me to call them Robert and Richard.

Is this a general trend or just peculiar to the people from southern
Illinois of my generation?

I do know that my friends in my hometown from the generation before us
still call themselves Bob or Dick and not Robert or Richard but I do not
know if this is peculiar to this area of the US or not.

Many years ago when I was running a site on The Cleveland freenet I
received a peculiar email which I could not decipher until my wife read it
and told me that the author was trying to hit on me since he assumed I was
female and that she got this type of crap all the time.

Page or should I say H. Page Stephens

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      wilsongray.com

---