seeking British hyphenation reference

Thu Mar 9 12:55:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, I posted the following question from a Swedish friend of
mine:

#I'm looking for a dictionary with British hyphenation of words, which
#should I get?  I'm thinking OED, should I try to get an online
#subscription?

Jesse provided the following answer, which I forwarded to my friend:

#Subscription options to OED Online can be seen at
#http://www.oed.com/subscribe/
#
#However, I think it would _not_ be a good source for British
#hyphenation; OED is not terribly interested in the standardization
#of such things, and most of it is still unrevised. One of the other
#OUP dictionaries such as the Concise Oxford would be better for
#this sort of things.
#
#Jesse Sheidlower
#OED

My friend writes back:

#Ahem, the Concise Oxford actually does *not* cover hyphenation but the
#Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary does, so I got myself a copy at
#Akademibokhandeln yesterday (and lay up late in bed, leafing through it
#:-).

As you can see, he's a language nut, like me and many of us on this list --
although he's not one *professionally*.

m a m