ADS-L Digest - 6 Mar 2006 to 7 Mar 2006 (#2006-67)

Geoffrey S. Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Mar 9 17:17:04 UTC 2006

> Re: A new use of "duh?"
> From:
> Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
> Date:
> Tue, 7 Mar 2006 04:25:24 -0800
>

> My grandparents both used to say, "in olden days," and I still say it. It has a somewhat archaic sound.
>
>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Cole Porter's song 'Anything Goes' (from the show of the same name) beings:

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking
But now, God knows,
Anything Goes.

Geoffrey S. Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
Faculty Liaison, Computing and Information Technology,
                  and Associate Professor of English
Linguistics Program                 Phone Numbers
Department of English               Computing and Information Technology:   (313) 577-1259
Wayne State University              Linguistics (English):   (313) 577-8621
Detroit, MI, 48202                  IT Fax: (313) 577-1338