Card-game names

Meredith Dixon dixonm at POBOX.COM
Fri Mar 10 02:04:17 UTC 2006

>Well, I'm with Larry. It's Hearts and Crazy Eights (and, on occasion,
>Crazy Aces, Crazy Twos, etc., when eights as wild cards got boring).

I am too.  It's Spades, Hearts and Crazy Eights.  In fact, I'd never heard the
long forms for Spades or Hearts.  If it helps, I learned the games in different
times and places: Spades and Hearts I learned in Girl Scouts at about age 12, with
a regular deck of cards, but I had had a Crazy Eights game, with cards especially
designed for the game, back when I was in preschool.

It was labeled Crazy Eights on its box, so of course that's what I called it.
It was the same game as the regular Crazy Eights, just played with cards with
cartoon versions of the numbers rather than regular playing cards.  I remember the
8's were all sheriffs, wearing shiny badges; I think there may have been a western
theme to the other cartoon numbers as well.

--

Meredith Dixon
dixonm at pobox.com