gay men and their names

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Mar 15 18:37:35 UTC 2006

Apparently everyone if they ever read it has forgotten about what I wrote
on this subject some time ago.

In it I said:

By the way one of the things which I have noticed among my friends of my
generation -- I am 62 -- is that many of my friends from my childhood whom
we used to call Bob and Dick now tell me to call them Robert and Richard.

Is this a general trend or just peculiar to the people from southern
Illinois of my generation?

I do know that my friends in my hometown from the generation before us
still call themselves Bob or Dick and not Robert or Richard but I do not
know if this is peculiar to this area of the US or not.

OK :-) There it is again.

Page Stephens

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: gay men and their names

---