Cats, horses, eggcorns

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Mar 15 19:37:46 UTC 2006

I think it's more likely due to the greater phonetic similarity of 'cat' and
'cart' in African English. I think most African varieties are r-less and my
guess is the usual value of the "short a" in 'cat' is closer to /a/ (i.e.
the vowel that most Americans use in 'father'). I don't have Wells or other
resources handy to check this.

-Matt Gordon