possible eggcorn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 15 22:03:52 UTC 2006

The following observation was contributed by Karen Baumer, one of our
former grad students who now works at H5, a software group in the
Silicon Valley.  The name of her source has been partially concealed
to preserve her anonymity.  I don't know if it counts as a true
eggcorn.  No google hits for "Jew-like intensity", but we could start
(or, based on the below, continue) a craze...

LH

--- begin forwarded text

I had a bunch of people visiting last weekend, including my friend Laura
Xberg from NYC. She mentioned that there is a L'Oreal hair color
commercial right now where they extol the colors' "jewel-like intensity."
However, she always hears it as "Jew-like intensity," even now that
she's figured out what they are actually saying. So naturally throughout
the weekend we ended up commenting on the Jew-like intensity of
various objects and people (including Laura herself).